Saturday, December 03, 2011

Day 17, Friday, 2nd December, 2011

As I write this, I am awed by the observation that my blog has already had more than 1100 views in the last sixteen days! It is truly humbling to observe that so many of my readers are ... or rather, must be coming back every single day to read the updates. Tell me if you are one of those who await the next installment and I will pray for your well-being. Is there anything in the blog that you do not want to be there? I am sure that if your argument is cogent, I will consider editing the objectionable content.

Today, like yesterday, was an off day for me. However, I cannot say the day was unremarkable. The reason for this is this: Today, I left the house that the hospital authorities had given me and shifted to the residence of a surgical colleague from Haridwar, India. His name is Dr. Shahid,and as I write this, he must be on the way to check in for his flight to India from Jeddah. He is going there to organise and attend the wedding of his sister-in-law. I consider myself lucky to be accepted by him as his sub-tenant, because he has a well-furnished, rather large house on the ground floor, about 15 minutes' walk from the hospital. He has, in his house, a 4-piece sofa set (with a 3-seater sofa, a 2-seater sofa, and a pair of 1-seat chairs).There are 4 rooms, each with a working A/c, a twin tub washing machine, a big 2-door refrigerator, a microwave oven, a colour TV (not being used) a functioning kitchen and more.

As Dr. Shahid is away for over a month, this house is in my custody till his return. I saw that Shahid is very careless with the cleaning task of his house.The kitchen was really, really dirty, as were the other rooms. There were almost 2 dozen cartons stuffed with hundreds of things like old clothes, screws, carpentry tools, decorative pieces and so much else that I must say the mind boggles! There was a small super-market nearby, and it was being managed by an Indian - a Keralaite. I sought his help to get two Indian/Bangla Deshi guys to come to my house and help me to clean the whole house. Presently two of these fellows did come and we began the cleaning work. They split up, and while one of them began to clean the kitchen, the other started with the various areas of the house with brooms and a vacuum cleaner.

They were at it for more than 2 hours, after which the house I stay in is looking much better indeed. I am also glad to report that the net is working, albeit very slowly and with a lot of uncertainty and periodic lapses. 

I went to sleep after 10:30 p.m. Thus ended my day. 

No comments: